Slaves of Rome - Masters Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attributes and the mini-games.

Go down

Attributes and the mini-games.  Empty Attributes and the mini-games.

Post by Lord of Misrule Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:57 am

Now, I would like to discuss the 'slave attributes', such as love vs. fear, and the use of 'stamina' and 'endurance' points.

Personally, I don't like the idea of 'stamina' and 'endurance' points. It makes me think that I am making my slaves super strong by whipping them. it doesn't make much sense to me. It makes me think that my slaves might end up being like Wonder Woman and Superman one day, easily overthrowing their Masters.

'submission' and 'obedience' points would make more sense to me.

'Stamina' and 'endurance' are attributes more suited for Masters, I think, or perhaps strong slaves. For Gladiators and Bodyguards perhaps, not chambermaids and handmaidens.

If one wanted to have one on one fighting for example, such as in the Arena, I could see 'stamina' being used as a sort of life bar. You only have a certain amount of stamina, or time holding that heavy sword and shield before you become tired and let your guard down or drop your shield, for example.

I would have this 'stamina' period of time represented by an hourglass counting out five seconds. Each stamina point gives you five seconds of 'fight time'. More stamina points give you more energy, and a longer 'fight time.' Stamina can be used to measure the success of any physical task which requires energy. Sailing, swimming, or riding a horse or a chariot is an example of this.

Sex is another example. If the stamina bar times out, is it the slave that runs out of stamina, or is it YOU?

The way to increase your own stamina is through sparring, practicing using the sword or puglio (and maybe whip) and making successful hits on a straw target dummy. The Roman Army would be doing this every day.

Endurance points might be different. Perhaps endurance is strength. One can increase one's physical size (muscles) by increasing one's endurance. One can increase one's endurance through strenuous exercise. The force marches of the Roman Army would do this. Sending a slave to work at the Quarry or in construction might also do this. Endurance in a fight generally means 'how much damage you can take'.

Let's say most weapons in the game are instantly fatal. One stab in the stomach with a gladius sword would normally means curtains for you. Having an endurance of five means you can take five hits with a gladius sword to your body before going down. It might also mean that instead of every blow being instantly fatal, the first four blows are glancing blows, or mere cuts.

I've explained the Commerce mini game, maybe we should focus on the combat mini game now. The Military is a huge part of Roman life. This is not something that can just be ignored. However, this seems to be the thing that 90% of all other Roman games focus heavily on. The Military. I believe that one should have the option of joining the military from the very beginning of the game. What does this give you? Well a salary for one. A place to live for another. Also your clothes, your weapons, your food and so on are all provided for you. Instead of fucking and whipping slaves, you practice fighting and marching in the barracks. An hourglass might count down how many days are spent on the march. The actual battle could be a two-dimensional birds eye view, although perhaps this would be directed by a General. A 'soldier's eye view' might give you the vantage point of bloody hand to hand combat with the enemy in the field. A victorious battle would give you resources and slaves as payment, to be divided up amongst the men. It would also increase one's Honorarium. A defeat would mean a loss of men, a smaller army, and or course, a loss of Honour.

You might get the chance to spar with other soldier players in the Colosseum. Military Rank might be based upon performance.

After 20 years of service in the Military, surviving soldiers are paid with a farm-house and a farm of their own (Villa). They are also married with a wife and family. The Villa is for the most part, self sufficient as far as food is concerned. The Villa produces crops and goods which may be sold to Merchants. A Senior soldier is a General, so let us consider that the Generals have a special map and chart they use to plan battles.  

The chart tells them how many legions and/or ships they have, how many are 'on the march', and the estimated arrival times for each of them to reach the battle, engage in battle, and return from battle. Much like the 'twelve towns' of the Merchant chart, these battlefields would be listed as a square on a chart by name, and likely with an icon to show what country they are in. The arrival times would be numbers counting down. "Estimated arrival in 30:00 minutes". When a Legion arrives at the battlefield, the countdown box turns green. 'Battle ready'.

The General now has the option of leading the troops personally, which means strategically directing low graphics counters on a 2 dimensonal topographical bird's eye view map. Things like terrain, etc. will determine success or failure. The General can also leave the strategy up to the game if he chooses. He does not need to open the mini map. The troops will fight on their own without direction. The honour and booty is only his to win or lose if he actually directs the troops himself though.

Victory means an expanded frontier. This means that a box on the Merchant's chart which was previously unavailable (blank) now opens up as a 'new market' trade post with slaves and goods to sell. The box above that box becomes the next battlefield, the next frontier, now an even further march away. The General sells these captives and booty on the market at a wholesale price. Merchants are able to buy these and resell them for a profit. Bargain hunters might get a deal before inflation hits. The money from those sales goes into the accounts of the General, his officers, and the soldiers, with pay adjusted for rank of course.

Defeat means retreat. It means a loss of Honour for the General, and the soldiers as well. The green square on the chart where the battle took place is now replaced by a red square with an enemy shield (or skull) upon it. The red square advances down, 'seizing'  a trade post. All of those slaves, goods and resources are now gone. The enemy has now captured a certain town, and is advancing. Since this is a 'new battle', the numbers of men, strength, field conditions, etc. are unknown.

The General must hire spies, which take time to travel to the zone, survey the area, return and report. The spies will then tell the General what troops he has seen, how disciplined they are, their morale, weather conditions, etc. The General can then figure out how many Legions he needs, Calvary, war machines, food and supplies for the march, etc. If the numbers are superior, then the General stands a good chance. Spy reports might not always be accurate though.

This satisfies the Killers and the Achievers. Generals may have statistics next to their names listing the number of victories, defeats, Legions under his control, etc. Likewise, Merchants might also have statistics listing how many carts they own, how many ships, how many buildings, how many villas, slaves, etc.

Next, I would like to explain the 'Politics' mini-game. In order to compete in Politics, you have to have a high Honour score. The people must love you. Merchants may do this by buying up disposable spectacles, such as Gladiators that die for one's ancestors. The Gladiators are expensive to buy and train, but when they die in combat, great honour is bestowed upon you. This is a good way to get rid of any excess income a Merchant might have made wheeling and dealing. If the Merchant spends enough, they can throw their hat in the ring to be elected Consul, representing the 'Populous' party, or the Plebeians. Those of higher rank, Centurions, Nobles, etc. would naturally represent the Optimus party, or the Oligarchy. Now as a Consul, you get to tell the Senators what the will of the people is. Most likely, this would mean directing the Army as to which frontier country (market) to invade.

Lord of Misrule

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum